These chicken philly stuffed peppers are so simple! I think they might actually be my first ever stuffed pepper. Hard to believe, right? Traditionally, stuffed bell peppers include rice, which definitely make the dish much heartier, but I skipped rice as it did not seem chicken philly appropriate. If you are looking for a heartier meal, feel free to add some in and see how it goes! Or enjoy these stuffed bell peppers with a side of freshly baked hoagies for the full philly experience.
It was only right to stuff these chicken philly peppers with sauteed peppers, red onion, and mushrooms. Plus lots of melty cheese. I enjoy mine with two layers of cheese. One as a base, where I use provolone slices, and another sprinkled on top, I prefer shredded mozzarella! Aside from the variety of cheeses, which of course having only one will do, this chicken stuffed pepper recipe makes for a pretty simple meal. Just a few basic ingredients come together quickly to shake up your weeknight dinner. It’s also a great recipe because it can easily be altered to serve one, two, or a crowd.
Okay, back to this delicious chicken philly stuffed pepper recipe though. You can grab the simple ingredients and yummy recipe below. They will keep in the refrigerator for a day or two if you’d like to meal prep them. I do recommend slicing, de-seeding, and baking the bell peppers before stuffing. Meanwhile, I sauté the mushrooms, red onions, peppers, and garlic and grill the chicken. Then I fill the peppers, sprinkle with cheese, and bake again. This assures the bell peppers are nice and soft once all the cheese melts.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, sliced in half
- 1 chicken cutlet, grilled and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 c sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- a pinch of salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut peppers in half and de-seed them. Set one half aside for stuffing. Drizzle peppers with olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the remaining half of the bell pepper.
- Add oil to a large skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until they release juices, about 2 minutes. Add onions and bell pepper, cooking for 2-3 minutes until tender and seasoning with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Add sliced chicken to re-heat.
- Remove pepper halves from the oven. Place a slice of provolone cheese in each, pushing down to shape the pepper. Fill each with chicken and veggies. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes and serve.
I recommend frozen or pre-pared grilled chicken to move this recipe along quickly!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 679mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 33g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.