These zucchini pizza boats are such a fun way to get your veggies in this summer! Hollow out your zucchini and fill with pizza toppings of your choice for the perfect side dish.
I like to use a melon scooper to hollow out my zucchini. Then I used my leftover zucchini balls in this ORZO LEMON SALAD. Alternatively, you can use a spoon to carve them out too! Also, if yours are super round, they may not sit well on your sheet pan. You can slice a thin flat surface for them to lay on the pan if you’d like.
Of course, this recipe sticks to the basic pizza toppings. We have marinara sauce, freshly grated parmesan cheese, I added a few grape tomatoes, freshly grated parmesan cheese, finely diced red onion, and a sprinkle of fresh basil to finish. However, if you’re looking for a hearty meal, try adding a protein like ground beef or pepperoni!
I’m super excited about zucchini squash recipes this summer. Aside from this delicious zucchini side dish, I have a few main dishes and breakfast recipes on the blog too. A favorite is this ZUCCHINI TACO SKILLET. It’s delicious as is, or with a side of warm tortillas. Additionally, if you’re looking to mix things up, try my friend Erin’s recipe for TACO ZUCCHINI BOATS.
Some friends have recently asked, ‘is zucchini a fruit?’. What a great question! It actually is. Particularly because it comes from seeds, has seeds, and grows on flower blossoms. If this sounds familiar, it may remind you of tomatoes. Indeed, they’re another fruit that’s commonly misplaced as a vegetable.
Obviously these zucchini pizza boats are delicious when oven baked. I’d love to give them a try in an air fryer! I know they’re all the rage now and my husband recently bought one for us. I’m just so intimidated by it! While we have a huge one, it’s so bulky and overwhelming to me. Plus I never know if I’m overcrowding it! If you’re an air fryer pro and want to give it a go- let me know in the comments how they turn out.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 c pizza sauce
- 1/2 c grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Cut stems off zucchini. Then slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out innards using a melon scooper or spoon. Set aside for another use or chop and saute to go in your pizza sauce!
- Fill each boat with sauce. Place grape tomatoes throughout boats. They should seem filled to the brim.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and red onion. Transfer to a greased sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove when cheese becomes gooey and golden. Sprinkle with fresh basil and red pepper flakes. Give the cheese a few minutes to coagulate before slicing in to enjoy!
Topping substitutions are encouraged! These pizza boats will keep fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 1262mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 20g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.