One of my favorite breakfasts when we lived in Orlando was the Japanese breakfast bowl at Artisan’s Table. Here’s my interpretation as a sweet chili breakfast bowl. Now clearly, they use white rice, because what type of crazy person uses brown rice in a Japanese inspired dish? This crazy person. That’s to say that if you are very talented at making delicious sticky white rice, please do so because that sounds amazing. I am not so talented and therefore I have stuck to what I know I’m good at.
Another thing I know I’m not good at- poached eggs. This Japanese breakfast bowl would be amazing with poached eggs. I’m awful at making them, so I enjoy it with my eggs fried over easy. If you’re fabulous at making poached eggs- go for it! If you prefer them scrambled- sounds delicious. Feel free to experiment here and personalize the sweet chili breakfast bowl how you like best.
What makes this breakfast rice bowl Japanese inspired is the spice they use at Artisan’s Table. It’s called togarashi and I had a terribly hard time finding it a typical grocery store. That’s why I decided to substitute with a mixture of spices instead. A bit of pink Himalayan sea salt, some chili powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and lots of sesame seeds did the trick.
I’ve also included a recipe for sweet chili sauce. The sweet chili sauce is really what makes the whole Japanese breakfast bowl so delicious. But if you’re in a pinch, hot sauce and maple syrup will do too! Not the same experience, but it does give the dish that spicy sweet kick we’re looking for. I recommend Yellowbird’s blue agave sriracha.
Okay, let’s get to it. Enjoy this sweet chili breakfast bowl for breakfast, lunch or dinner really. It’s easy to throw together when you have some prepared rice on-hand already. PS if you’re making your rice now, I recommend starting your sauce while the rice cooks so that it has time to cool. If it cools too much and becomes sticky and thick, re-heat with a splash of water to thin.
Looking for more breakfast inspiration? Check out my CHEDDAR APPLE QUICHE or WHOLE 30 SPICY SESAME BREAKFAST HASH.
SWEET CHILI BREAKFAST BOWL
Brown rice, crispy bacon, asparagus, fried eggs, scallions, and a sweet chili sauce make this breakfast bowl the perfect morning fuel.
- 1 c cooked brown rice (1/3 c dry)
- 2 slices bacon
- 3 spears asparagus, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 scallions, minced
- SWEET CHILI SAUCE
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ketchup
- 1/4 tsp arrowroot powder
- Make sweet chili sauce by boiling water and vinegar in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir in honey, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and ketchup. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in arrowroot powder. Remove saucepan from heat to cool.
- While it cools, cook bacon as directed on package. Sautee asparagus in bacon leftover fat for 4-5 minutes. Chop bacon.
- Fry eggs in bacon fat until crisp to your liking, 3-5 minutes. Transfer bacon and asparagus to bowl of rice. Top with fried eggs.
- Sprinkle eggs with salt, chili powder, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Drizzle with sweet chili sauce and minced scallion.
If the sauce thickens too much after cooling, re-heat with a splash of water.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 581Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 395mgSodium: 1163mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 6gSugar: 19gProtein: 27g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
One thought on “SWEET CHILI BREAKFAST BOWL”