This pineapple fried rice is the perfect combination of hearty carbs and antioxidant-packed vegetables, with a sweet twist. Add in the delicious protein of scrambled eggs and the juicy sweetness of fresh pineapple and you can’t go wrong. We love to pair this side dish with MINI TURKEY MEATBALLS, SHEET PAN CITRUS CHICKEN, or SPICY MAYO SALMON for added protein.
The only part of this pineapple fried recipe that can be a little time consuming is the preparation of brown rice. I recommend boiling your rice beforehand to make for an easy and smooth fried rice experience. For instance, the brown rice I use here takes 45 minutes to simmer. Feel free to ready your brown rice a day or two beforehand and use cold straight from the refrigerator if that works better for your schedule.
Firstly, I like to simplify this pineapple fried rice recipe a bit for myself by using frozen peas and corn. Meanwhile, I always have carrots in our refrigerator so I don’t mind chopping those up. However, frozen carrots would work just fine! Just be sure to drain frozen veggies after heating, otherwise your rice will be watery. I do not recommend frozen or canned pineapple in this healthier fried rice recipe. Frozen pineapple will hold too much excess liquid and canned just doesn’t taste as delicious. Additionally, you can substitute the red onion for yellow onion. Red are just a bit spicier in my opinion!
So you’ve never cooked with coconut aminos before? It’s a great substitute for soy sauce. I like to buy this one. You can read more about how coconut aminos are a healthier alternative, avoiding soy, gluten, and reducing salt, here. Typically, coconut aminos have about one third of the amount of sodium that soy sauce does. It’s made from the sap of a coconut palm! It’s a great choice for a healthier fried rice dish.
PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
This pineapple fried rice is the perfect combination of hearty carbs and antioxidant-packed vegetables, with a sweet twist.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 c frozen peas, defrosted and drained
- 1/2 c frozen corn, defrosted and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 c cooked brown rice (1 c dry)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 c pineapple, diced
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Pour in whisked eggs and scramble. Once firm, set eggs aside on a small plate. Roughly chop into bite-size pieces.
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp butter to the skillet. Once melted, add carrots, red onion, peas, corn, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add rice, scallions, and coconut aminos. Stir to combine. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add in sesame oil, chopped eggs, and pineapple. Stir to combine. Serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 479mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.