We’re featuring a few favorite winter harvest goodies today in this asparagus apple salad. This simple recipe also includes some pre-work though- No Crumbs Left’s marinated red onions. These marinated red onions are a staple in my kitchen. They are great on salads, atop a burger, or even over fried eggs. I’m directing you to this recipe early because they do take a day or two to marinate before you can use them! It is a nice little hack for the dressing on this salad though too. Instead of mixing your dressing separately, feel free to use the red onion marinade.
I’ve been eyeing salad choppers for awhile. Who doesn’t love a finaly chopped salad? All of the ingredients meld together into perfect bites. Today I realized that instead of buying myself a salad chopper, I could just easily use a pizza cutter wheel. Yep, you heard it here first. These are the same tools!
Usually a salad chopper has two wheels, but I can’t justify purchasing another kitchen tool for that. Toss your fresh spinach in a large plastic bowl and chop it up by pressing into the salad and moving your wheel vertically until spinach is nice and fine. I know, I know, hold your applause. Just wait until you bite into this finished asparagus apple salad.
- 2 c fresh spinach
- 1/4 c chopped asparagus
- 1/2 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 small apple, thinly sliced
- 1/3 red onion, marinated
- 1/4 c raisins
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Transfer to a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly saute asparagus in olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, oregano, salt, and black pepper for dressing. Alternatively, you can also use the red onion marinade.
- Remove chickpeas from the oven and let cool.
- Chop spinach using a salad chopper or pizza cutter wheel.
- Transfer chickpeas and asparagus to the large bowl of spinach. Add raisins, chopped apples, and marinated red onions.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss. Best enjoyed immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 477mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 7gSugar: 20gProtein: 7g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.