We all know I love a good sweet potato crust quiche. I’ve been making these beauties for years and even have a butternut squash version on the blog here. Today my sweet potato crust gets a delicious upgrade as a cheddar apple quiche. Sprinkled with spinach and filled with whisked eggs, this breakfast favorite is the perfect combination of savory and sweet.
We start by slicing a sweet potato into thin rounds to spiral the bottom of the pie dish and bake into a thin crust. After a quich bake, add whisked eggs and your toppings. I like to use a sweet apple like fuji or gala, but any apple will do! Then we top it with a few more whisked eggs to assure the toppings bake in. Bake and enjoy! This recipe holds well in the refrigerator all week long for grab-and-go breakfast. It also freezes well once sliced into servings. Just saran wrap and store, then defrost in the refrigerator overngiht or pop it stright into the oven to enjoy.
I chose fresh spinach, cheddar cheese cubes, and tiny apple chunks for toppings in this cheddar apple quiche. You can easily substitute these ingredients for others, such as kale or swiss cheese.
Loving this cheddar apple quiche? Check out some of my other favorite breakfast recipes found around my website including these BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE MUFFINS, BLENDER BANANA BREAD MUFFINS, and SPINACH BANANA PANCAKES. Looking for something a little more savory? Try this WHOLE 30 SPICY SESAME BREAKFAST HASH.
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 9 eggs
- 1/3 c cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1/2 c spinach
- 1/2 small apple, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a pie dish with 1 tbsp olive oil. You can also use the spray if you have it on hand!
2. Thinly slice your sweet potato into rounds. If you have a mandolin, that would be wonderfully convenient! I sliced it by hand. If you go too thin and slice a half-circle, you can still use it- just make sure you layer up!
3. Spiral your sweet potato rounds to cover the entirety of the pie dish and create a crust. They will shrink when baking, so layer them on just enough to completely cover the bottom.
4. Drizzle with more olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Bake for 30 minutes.
5. While the crust bakes, prepare your toppings.
6. Crack your eggs into a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
7. Remove crust from the oven and fill with 3/4 of the egg mixture.
8. Layer in spinach, cheese, and tiny apple chunks. Pour in the remaining egg mixture.
9. Return the pie dish to the oven and bake at 375°F for an additional 20 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing to enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 286mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.