Last weekend babe and I had a bake off. I wanted to bake chocolate chip sweet potato bread and he wanted to bake pumpkin bread.
I’ll start by telling you that I was initially very opposed to this- I don’t have enough self control to have two loaves of sweet bread in the house at once! But neither of us was backing down from our baking intentions and one of us started talking a big game. It was Justin.
He baked his loaf while I was at work and shared some impressive food photography with me. He doubted himself for halving the sugar in the recipe he was using.
Now it would be easy for me to use the power of ‘this is my blog’ to claim myself the winner. After all, what we he be able to do about that? Muhaha *evil laugh*
But quite frankly, both breads were delicious and I couldn’t even designate a clear winner. Which very much surprised me because he used canned pumpkin which I don’t find very flavorful, whereas I used fresh roasted sweet potatoes. Maybe it was the white sugar he used that made it so addictingly good. His definitely had a lot more bounce, whereas mine was pretty dense. It’s pretty likely that my sweet tooth was just too greedy to choose a favorite. They were both different and delicious in their own way.
Either way, a big ole’ cheers to my babe taking up some time in the kitchen, because I kind of love it. If only he could get into cooking dinner! But I’ll take the baking escapades for now.
Peek below for the details of my delicious (self designated award winning) chocolate chip sweet potato bread!
CHOCOLATE CHIP SWEET POTATO BREAD
Prep time: 1 hr 10 minutes
1 cup sweet potato purée
1/4 c maple syrup
1/4 c coconut oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 c coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 c chocolate chips
SWEET SUGARY GLAZE:
1/2 c coconut sugar
1 tsp arrowroot powder
2 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
- Mix together all wet ingredients in a large bowl and all dry ingredients in a separate small bowl.
- Carefully whisk dry ingredients into the wet and fold in your chocolate chips.
- Transfer dough to greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips and bake for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your glaze. Blend coconut sugar and arrowroot powder into a fine powder.
- Add almond milk and mix to combine.
- After allowing your baked loaf to cool, drizzle sweet glaze atop.
Craving a day of baking? This whole wheat banana oat bread is still a favorite in my kitchen. Or give these triple layer peanut butter crunch brownies a go!
One thought on “CHOCOLATE CHIP SWEET POTATO BREAD”