Okra is one of those vegetables that I just don’t show up at the grocery store seeking out. The inside is slimy and if you’ve never cooked one before, it can be a little overwhelming. In fact, if you let them go bad, the outside gets slimy too. Yum. So, what’s my favorite fool proof way to prepare these beauties? Roasting them into okra fries of course. Just like in this whole 30 crispy okra fries & spicy garlic aioli recipe.
Okra is in season right now, which is how they ended up in my kitchen. Eating seasonally is my best trick to eating fresh produce on a budget. Okra is not one of the most popular produce items, so typically I only find them when they are in season anyhow.
I’m telling you, once you roast them up and take a crunchy bite of these okra fries, you will remember to seek them out in the grocery store! *note to self* You’re going to love these Whole 30 crispy okra fries & spicy garlic aioli. Aside from roasted okra, I’ve also seen them used in many Indian recipes and curries!
Aside from the unique look of these little beauties, okra packs some serious health benefits. Okra’s high fiber and vitamin c content promote good cholesterol levels and boost immunity. Okra’s health benefits are plentiful!
They are quite delicious all on their own, but why not up the ante with a spicy garlic aioli, right? Aioli sounds a lot harder than it is. In fact, this one only requires four ingredients. It was inspired by the lovely Alex at The Defined Dish and her Cajun Oven-Roasted Okra Fries with Lemon-Garlic Aioli. Aside form these roasted okra fries, you can also pair this delicious aioli with CRISPY SMASHED POTATOES.
- 15 oz fresh okra, slice lengthwise
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard spice
- 1/2 tspn turmeric
- 1/2 tspn black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c avocado oil mayo (feel free to make your own if you're feeling ambitious)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tspn cayenne (if you're feeling spicy!)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and grease a baking sheet.
- Place sliced okra in a large mixing bowl. Add okra, avocado oil, and spices. Gently toss to coat.
- Scatter okra on your greased baking sheet. Avoid overcrowding, as it will create moisture and keep your okra from crisping.
- Roast for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- While your okra roasts, in a small bowl, add aioli ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Serve okra fries with aioli for dipping and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 618mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.