I love SoulCycle. When I first moved to Dallas, I immediately connected with the local studio and found myself feeling more at home and at ease by the comfort of familiar faces and a welcoming environment in my new city.
Whenever I chat with a friend who’s never been to a SoulCycle studio, they tend to express a bit of intimidation. There’s such a strong sense of community and from the outside looking in, I can see how that may ward off newcomers. I’m always happy to share my tips and tricks, so needless to say, this post has been a long time coming!
5 TIPS TO CONQUER YOUR FIRST SOULCYCLE CLASS
- CALL THE STUDIO. Never been to SoulCycle? Never been to spin? Never exercised in your life? We all know there are those instructors with a particular reputation for kicking your butt. Call and ask the staff if they have an instructor they recommend for first-timers.
- HYDRATE! This is pretty much a must for any workout. Hydrating in the hours leading up to, during and after your class is imperative. It will give you more energy for your workout and help prevent fatigue, cramping, etc. I like to sip coconut water after class for added electrolytes!
- SHOW UP EARLY. The staff will likely already be aware that it’s your first time, but feel free to let them know anyways! They’re always happy to show you around and help you get settled on your bike. Every body is different and you’ll have to adjust your bike accordingly. Ask the staff to write down your settings so you’ll have them on hand next time!
- SIT IN THE SECOND ROW. I know, this sounds very specific. In my experience, the first row is for people who are pros- they know exactly what they’re doing and never miss a beat. To that point, I like being right behind these people so I can follow their lead throughout class. The occasions where I sat in the latter rows, I felt disconnected from the rest of the class. I know the back corner seems truly inviting when you don’t know anyone and have never been to the studio before, but trust me that you want to feel a part of the ‘tribe’. To me, this is a huge part of the experience itself. I’m all about the ‘vibe’ of a studio and I want to be right in the mix of it, not watching from afar.
- DO YO’ THANG. I’m going to attribute this knowledge to yoga, but throughout my experiences in group fitness, I’ve learned this very important lesson. Nobody is watching you. Except maybe the instructor. But honestly, in the thick of class, you are way too involved in your workout and concentrated on catching the beat to notice anyone else… and everyone else feels exactly the same way. Listen to your body. Challenge yourself, but don’t hurt yourself. If you need a break, take it. If you prefer thicker resistance to a sprint, turn that resistance wheel, girlfriend. The instructor is there to guide you, but this is YOUR workout.
Below I’ve provided some additional resources that I found on the SoulCycle website!
Photo credit Jennifer Baumann Photography
One thought on “5 TIPS TO CONQUER YOUR FIRST SOULCYCLE CLASS”