My favorite way to warm up on a chilly rainy night is to curl up with a hearty bowl of soup and a good book. This curried broccoli rice kale soup is a favorite for sure! Make this with broccoli or cauliflower rice for a nutritious vegetable packed bowl of goodness.
When it comes to vegetable rices, you can snag your favorites either fresh or frozen. I tend to purchase fresh, but it’s only good for a day or two, so be sure you’re timing it right with when you plan to make the recipe. This recipe is great to make a large batch and freeze for a later time. Extra soup is always a good idea!
If you cook my recipes often, you know I’m all for substitutions. You can substitute any dark leafy green instead of kale here, and of course broccoli and cauliflower rice are interchangeable. Another easy swap for this curried broccoli rice and kale soup is an all-in-one curry spice rather than the mix that makes up the flavor. You cna always add more of a certain oen if you’re a fan- I love paprika!
- 3 c riced broccoli or cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 c red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 2 handfuls of power greens (spinach, kale, chard.. take your pick!)
- 2 c chopped carrots
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1 c almond milk
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F and in a small bowl, toss your broccoli rice with the turmeric, cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and 1 tbsp oil.
- Spread the cauliflower rice on a roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes until golden.
- Chop the rest of your veggies and start our soup pot. Place onion, 2 tsp oil, and minced garlic in a large stockpot.
- Saute for 5 minutes until fragrant. Next add in your broth, milk, veggies, “rice,” red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Bring to a quick boil and simmer for another 20 minutes or so until veggies are all cooked.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 593mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.